Lodsys, the company that has made a spectacle for itself by dragging developers to court is at it again. This time Lodsys is adding Rovio, Atari, and EA to its list of companies they are going after for this patent suit. The good news for now is that Lodsys has removed one company from the list it is going after. Wulven Games has been dropped from the complaint.
Here’s a breakdown of who Lodsys is going after now and for what:
- Rovio is accused of infringing at least one of Lodsys’s patents with Angry Birds for iOS and Angry Birds for Android
- Electronic Arts: The Sims 3 for iPhone
- Atari: Atari’s Greatest Hits for iPhone and Atari’s Greatest Hits for iPad
- Square Enix: Big Hit Baseball for iPhone and Big Hit Baseball for iPad
- Take-Two Interactive: 2K Sports NHL 2K11 for iPhone
With Lodsys’s recent actions they are going after a total of 37 defendants. When it comes down to it I think Lodsys has every right to make sure that the patents they have earned are being properly enforced. But in a major case like this I think it is more of an issue with Apple and Google rather than individual companies like Rovio and EA. They may be creating a spotlight for thier company but I think in the long run this is going to hurt the image they shed onto others. If I was a company I would avoid any business at all with companies like Lodsys.
Sadly I believe Lodsys will legally win this patent suit but morally they are among biggest losers of them all. What do you guys think of all this?
Original Author: Matt